Monday, December 04, 2006

Jen's page
The last five days have been very trying at the Hair household! On Thursday night, the ice storm the forcasters had been warning about hit Decatur hard. We had no idea it was going to be as serious as it has been. Our power flickered, and then finally it went out. We waited... but it did not come back. After notifying my parents, my dad came and rescued us. I packed as quickly as I could, and when my dad picked us up, we were drove very close to downed power lines. Yikes! We got over to my mom and dad's where we thought we would be safe from the cold-- they still had power, but in the middle of the night they lost power, too. I had plugged in Isaac's night-light and when I woke up in the dark, I knew we were in trouble! We were going to stay Friday night at Pam and Barry's because they still had power, but my parents power came back around 6 pm, so we just stayed there since all of our stuff was already there.
We went over to Pam and Barry's just to visit and when we left, we went by our house to check again-- still no power. The hotels for miles around have been sold out since early Friday morning. We are so thankful to have family nearby that would take us in.
Sunday after church we went out to eat with my parents and their friends (who don't have power), and I saw a friend from school. She lives in Warrensburg, where I teach, and she still does not have power. Her daughter whose kids go to Warrensburg lives in the country near Warrensburg and they don't expect to get it back until Thursday. They are very cold, considering the temperature is in the teen digits. Staying with friends, and even family, is never quite as good as home sweet home. Back in my own bed last night, I slept soundly! I feel bad for all the people who don't have power yet! One little girl who's in first grade had a fire from a candle in her home, and the whole house burned down! People have purchased generators, but they run on a lot of gasoline, and they can only run one thing, such as the heater, for a short amount of time.
It is a blessing that we only have tree limbs down and a broken fence. Oh, I nearly cried when I found out about the other damage we have. My yard swing was crushed by a fallen tree limb, and it may be ruined. We have to wait to assess the damage until it gets a little warmer. I can't imagine having structural damage to your home. We are praying for Decatur families. We haven't had school since Thursday, but I expect we will have it tomorrow.
It will be a better day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hate ice storms! Still remember the one we had in AR several years back. It was a couple of weeks before everyone had power restored. Miserable!